Friday, May 04, 2007

course is over

This blog was originally a requirement for a course. Now finished.
Now this blog is free to degenerate into a hodgepodge of intermittent rambling about whatever takes my fancy. As far as I can ascertain, my readership is negligible, which gives me certain license too...

For many years, with a few exciting but fleeting exceptions, I've been somewhere between 10 and 20 kgs overweight. No major drama, I've judiciously invested my ego elsewhere. In my B.A. I studied enough women's studies to think that this whole weight thing is a tad ridiculous anyway. Also I'm lazy - weight maintenance is work!

But this darn oh it's an obesity epidemic we're all going to get fatterandfatteruntilweexplode thing is getting to me. So I devised a framework which was so long term and low key that I've managed to stick to it all year, without any trouble.

Is it working? I think so. I don't have any tools for size measurement in my house. But people have started telling me that I've lost weight so that's a good sign. Also my clothes are starting to hang off me.

So here's the plan. The framework goes like this. It would be good to lose 12 kgs, and I'll do that over a year. That's a kg a month, which shouldn't be too hard. Each month I'll change just one thing. (According to housekeeping guru flylady.net you need a month to establish a habit.) Here's what I've done so far:
January - started taking psyllium. This is fibre and keeps things moving along. I just added this to my brekky smoothies.
February - started drinking dandellion root tea. One or two cups a day. This is a liver tonic. Given the job of the liver in burning fat, it seemed like a sensible move. Easy - I like the flavour.
March - started Karate once a week. I do this with Hubby and kids and it's wonderful for all of us for different reasons.
April - a few food substitutions. Replaced sugar with fructose. (access - easy, supermarket, price - expensive, GI - 19). Replaced white flour, bread and pasta with wholemeal. And kept our basic menu the same but have added more vegies - a minimum of 5 veggies in each dinner.
May - a trampoline is arriving on Monday, so bouncing for 30 mins a week is next for me.

So far so good. Only issue has been the time to chop up the veggies. Particularly because my younger child considers many veggies poisonous and I need to chop them so finely that they become indiscernable within the dinner mix. Considering buying a food processor. Oh, I guess I've been slipping into a sense of dieting, which probably isn't good. So I need to combat that.

The other really important thing is I replaced my worn out mattress and have been much more energetic since.

Hmm. Now I've got all of May to consider June's habit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home