Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Audience Doesn't Want to Know

This is a rambling interlude between two official forum posts.

One of my favourite sayings from the mighty mighty mighty Robert Dawe, bass and singing teacher is "the audience doesn't want to know".

When I turn up to lessons with my pockets brimming full of excuses - head cold, dog ate my homework, Bach is too hard, I'm singing flat because my piano's out of tune, stubbed toe, morning voice and so on - he just says "the audience doesn't want to know, don't tell them."

It's amazing how often this little saying pops into my head - the audience doesn't want to know.

What an honour to get an insight into his self discipline. One day we were talking about the issue singers can face of 'morning voice' that the instrument can be kind of gluggy and crap in the morning. He said that when he rehearsed with orchestras at 10am, he just needed to be in full voice. So he would wake up early, and make sure he had sung for an hour or two, before the day's rehearsal began. He didn't have the luxury of morning voice - the audience doesn't want to know.

Sometimes I wonder what the audience does and doesn't want to know. Recently I was introducing a song, and got all rambly, realised I was talking about sewing clothes. Oopsy. Remembered too late - the audience doesn't want to know, so I shut up and got on with it. It's hard to always keep in mind that the audience's attention is a great honour indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home